Skip to main content

The Next Step

So the next step was the penukanal wherein the prospective family would meet the girl.

The entire week my mind was full of doubts and questions. I never had a liking towards anything related to marriage except for kids and a fun day called wedding. Let me be truthful, I didn't except anything from the ritual. My main concern was not if they liked me(I knew they wouldn't). I was worried that they would come and meet me and then say I am too fat and then they would leave. And what would unfold would be hell of a torture. Everything I eat would be scanned and I would be screamed at to reduce my weight and all that comes along with it. Its not like I am new to this torture, but I didn't want the intensity to increase. If that happened, I am sure my family would have actually gone to the extent thinking of inventing a machine to read my mind as to what food I am thinking of.  I kinda knew this was gonna happen. But Rukku was all excited. I think she was the one more confident than anyone in my family. Maybe this was because she knew both the families.

And when the day actually came, everyone was very excited, worried, tensed and all that. The major effect was that there was a hell of cleaning at home. It was a utter waste to do that since there was the workers renovating the kitchen and there would be dust everywhere the moment. Well, still everybody did that. And it was as though everyone was dancing on the beats of some un played song. I kind of went along with it. There was excitement in the air. Even though I was skeptical about the entire thing, it was fun to watch my grandma bouncing around in the air, mom screaming at me to clean my round table (well, there is no aspect of property attached to it, its just that it was in the right center of the hall and kind of held every bit of my college stuff and gadgets like headphones). And then after my little lending of hand(well, don't think it was little, it was cleaning the entire living room and my huge round table), I was asked to go get dressed. Well, I took the complete advantage  of that order and disappeared.

I had no idea it was the beginning of another huge task--- selecting the dress part. So I changed 6 or 7 times and paraded around the house, with everyone having an opinion in it. To tell you the truth, I didn't mind (this happens very rarely, coz I always reserve the right to comment on how I look to a very few people... again its not like I can stop others from commenting, even though I hate it, I just smile) . So after all the changing, nobody liked anything I wore. Each one of the clothes had its own issues. Calmly, very calmly (u know what I mean)(I wasn't irritated, just worried if I can find anything good, not for me, but good in everybody else's eyes) I asked my darling bro to go get my stitched top from the tailor, the moment he got back I wore that with a jeans and said this is me. This is how I look generally, and I am not bling bling person. Everybody had no option other than to accept it, coz the determined expression on my face stopped them from asking me again.

They came, saw me,  had food and left. In all this, only 2 people spoke to me, one his aunt and other his father. If they hadn't done that, maybe, I would have cried. I felt humane after that. I told my aunt it was very weird that they did not talk to me, my aunt said yours is much much better, than typical penu kanal and asked me to shut up. For all those who were asked to walk and sing on this day, my condolences. I was very lucky. But again it was very weird for me, I could even talk to utter strangers. I was sure they did not like me, if they did, they would have asked me something or the other, but they didn't. (apart from the aunt and the father). The person from whom I wanted some or the other questions was from the sister. I was looking at her continuously for some or the other questions. In between all this, (because I was sure they did not like me), I was forming a plan in my head to ask baps for another year of freedom from all this, how I would ask and how I would go about it. The moment they left, our own Rukku turned and said they liked me and the next step shall be decided when the groom lands and sees me.

I don't know why I smiled soooo broadly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How it all began ....

So all this started when... okay the truth is that I have no idea when all this started, anyway the beginning is a spark of an idea in Rukku's mind. And I have no clue how things churned to this on that side. For me it started when I got a call from her after all these months. She asked for my full photo. Since the term full photo is totally associated with a marriage proposal, I didn't think twice to reject the same. But somehow she managed to get hold of it. As many other events of any other day, I forgot about it when the sun rose up high the next day. Apparently a lot of things were happening on the other side.  I got shock when my father came down to India and while having breakfast revealed the real intention of his visit. After the initial shock I laughed, I thought he was kidding. He said the proposal was really ON. And their people wanted to meet me. And my mom would be coming down soon. I sat there processing the whole thing inside my head. I don't remember m

5 years of my life

Someone called me today to ask about NUALS. A common friend had given this guy my phone number as he got allotted in the college I spent 5 years of my life in. He starts with asking me how is NUALS. So I start talking, and I realized a lot of things. I start telling him how college was for me. Through out the 5 years I always wondered how my life would be had I gone somewhere else. Like, someplace with a lot of strikes and then random things like an arts college. But then I realized I wouldn't be me without being here. It changed me in several ways. For one, I was a Rebel, let me put it simply, I was a wild animal, a really wild one, just like my hands my tongue could hurt people and the pain wouldn't have left for days. And then would I have gained anything, NAH. Well, NUALS tamed me. From a lion to a wolf maybe, don't know. At least I learned to think before I start acting, to measure words before spitting it out. Was it the place or was it just growing up. Maybe a mix

The Essentials of an Indian wedding

Yeah, so like any other event, the planning and execution was really tough. I'm sure hosting an International Academic event can be easier than this. Here there is unexpectedness through out, 1000s of opinions involved, and finally the execution left for oneself. My shopping was done weeks before, except for the collection of my 'dress of the day' from the designer. The shopping for everyone else went on and on. Another aspect that went through a lot speculation and finally a lot of criticism was the jewelry. I think everyone expected me to be draped in gold so that my dress itself won't be visible. Yeah!!! So when a lot of relatives came home (yeah there is the customary visits by a lot of people), they gaped at my father with their mouths open when he said the amount of gold he was actually buying. 20 sovereigns of gold is way toooo less when you compare the 300 or so presently happening in the society. And then they look at me with a look that said why are you sup