Skip to main content

The Next Next Step

I don't know why I am doing this now, writing all this up on a blog. Maybe the old mischievous me is back and up to something. I am not a centralized and organized blogger. my scribbling are mashed up in notebooks, on my facebook wall and this.

So, now like the soap operas my story takes a leap of 10 days and we are on that 10th day. Also, today is a working day and I have got college to attend and today is also the day the groom comes. Ummi is leaving the next day and the he just landed the day before, so it had to be crammed in this one day. Like any other day I went to college, but at 12 my bro calls and tells me that they reached Trissur and that I have to reach fast. So I bunk the 4th hour and go home.(Well, I am sure since it was environmental law somebody would have called proxy for me) And the task of dressing up begins.

Now flashback, through those 10 days what I was feeling was real creepy. My friends say I was excited. My family says I was all freaked out. Me -- I say I have nooooo idea. I had a lot of messed up feelings. If I get rejected for being ssoooo huge, the scary time of food torture will come. And on the top of that, due to a stupid allergy I started getting pimples. Allah !!! I could get rejected because I was fat, and that was bearable (Life taught me that), but getting rejected coz of some stupid allergy pimples is an unbearable fact. But that day it kinda subsided. On the top of all this, I had my own list of things to ask and the conditions on which I shall reject.(don't everybody have that :)) I love my Baps and my darling Ummi for that utter freedom of choosing. To be truthful, I didn't expect them to be this liberal and progressive. They are the best. So my conditions were really funny and weird. And I had to check the compatibility in just a few minutes of talking (Allah!!! such a huge task in such a short time)

So, back on that day, they reached really late, and there was butterflies in my stomach. 2 reasons- one I was dead hungry and other I was tensed. They reached and had lunch and after that there was a commotion. I adjusted my shawl and was moving forward when my grandma tucked it from the back and said it wasn't straight and then one of my aunts tucked it on the side saying that it wasn't proper there. All this leads to my entire shawl coming off and me turning back and running to the room, but my way was blocked by the group of relatives. So then, I stand and breathe, adjust my shawl and then walk straight. Mind you, all this is happening while I am taking my baby steps from the room to the hall. So then after I am shoved inside the room, all these aunties, grandma and Rukku leaves... And they go and have lunch. Yeah yeah... Nobody asked me if I was hungry. Well, at that point I didn't care, but I am sure my poor stomach did.

SO the talk officially begins and I don't know why I was smiling like a total fool. (yea my friends keep saying tension makes me blabber and smile... a lot ... a lot and a lot... ) After that we start talking, well the truth is I couldn't hear most of the things and I had to ask him to repeat. This kept happening. There was the renovation work upstairs and the stupid African Guinea was making a lot of noise. I was tensed, yes its true, but it was more frustrated because I was making a complete fool of myself asking him to repeat. So I finished and ran out real fast. But since my most important condition was fulfilled, 90% of me wanted to know more. My Condition was this(I never told this to anyone before, coz I kinda knew their reactions) - Since his family had already seen me, I wanted this person to say he is okay or nor okay to me or someone, before he left my house. Well, somewhere in the conversation, of which I heard some bits ( I am sure I heard most of them right) he said he was okay with this.

After that I ran and had food, it wasn't because I was hungry, it was because that was the only thing to do. All the ladies were there eating. If I had gone to the room they would have followed, I am sure. So that was the only appropriate thing to do.

It was during the process of staring at my plate and drawing designs that I freaked out completely, Allah!!! I haven't talked to him properly. And then I hear Hassainar Uncle call from the verendah ... Ruksiyee they are leaving.... and then I freaked out big time. I jumped up from my seat and ran to the room and then Rukku followed. Looking at my face Ummi guessed something was wrong. So she came running. I was in the verge of tears.. and I said, I didn't hear anything he said. (yeah, a lil bit of exaggeration there) , and now Ummi started freaking, and Rukku too, now they went and told him that I wanted to talk again. I have absolutely no clue what was going through the mind of all those present there, because it isn't conventional for a girl to ask for another meeting. So this time I bombarded him with questions and still missed out many. But don't know why even with all those missing questions and answers missing, I felt fine with it.

After making a big fool of myself, I felt comfortable and then it was all okay, and when I was leaving the room, everyone in this world should have seen my grandmother's face.

Comments

  1. Short story, isn't it?😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting for the next next next step. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting for God to unfold the next chapter. The one with Biryani's 😁😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shall Update the next step soon, when it happens Aparna... And Abby... Go Ahead and wait, will call you when that chapter happens.
    And Fairoos Bro, its me, nothing is short here ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love that boldness. It's you who is going to take the risk.....:) definitely you should be clear about what you are going to take. But one thing is clear here after reading, your partner is a matured and understanding boy....We just need that....:P
    Maithri

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How it all began ....

So all this started when... okay the truth is that I have no idea when all this started, anyway the beginning is a spark of an idea in Rukku's mind. And I have no clue how things churned to this on that side. For me it started when I got a call from her after all these months. She asked for my full photo. Since the term full photo is totally associated with a marriage proposal, I didn't think twice to reject the same. But somehow she managed to get hold of it. As many other events of any other day, I forgot about it when the sun rose up high the next day. Apparently a lot of things were happening on the other side.  I got shock when my father came down to India and while having breakfast revealed the real intention of his visit. After the initial shock I laughed, I thought he was kidding. He said the proposal was really ON. And their people wanted to meet me. And my mom would be coming down soon. I sat there processing the whole thing inside my head. I don't remember m

5 years of my life

Someone called me today to ask about NUALS. A common friend had given this guy my phone number as he got allotted in the college I spent 5 years of my life in. He starts with asking me how is NUALS. So I start talking, and I realized a lot of things. I start telling him how college was for me. Through out the 5 years I always wondered how my life would be had I gone somewhere else. Like, someplace with a lot of strikes and then random things like an arts college. But then I realized I wouldn't be me without being here. It changed me in several ways. For one, I was a Rebel, let me put it simply, I was a wild animal, a really wild one, just like my hands my tongue could hurt people and the pain wouldn't have left for days. And then would I have gained anything, NAH. Well, NUALS tamed me. From a lion to a wolf maybe, don't know. At least I learned to think before I start acting, to measure words before spitting it out. Was it the place or was it just growing up. Maybe a mix

The Essentials of an Indian wedding

Yeah, so like any other event, the planning and execution was really tough. I'm sure hosting an International Academic event can be easier than this. Here there is unexpectedness through out, 1000s of opinions involved, and finally the execution left for oneself. My shopping was done weeks before, except for the collection of my 'dress of the day' from the designer. The shopping for everyone else went on and on. Another aspect that went through a lot speculation and finally a lot of criticism was the jewelry. I think everyone expected me to be draped in gold so that my dress itself won't be visible. Yeah!!! So when a lot of relatives came home (yeah there is the customary visits by a lot of people), they gaped at my father with their mouths open when he said the amount of gold he was actually buying. 20 sovereigns of gold is way toooo less when you compare the 300 or so presently happening in the society. And then they look at me with a look that said why are you sup