Skip to main content

5 years of my life

Someone called me today to ask about NUALS. A common friend had given this guy my phone number as he got allotted in the college I spent 5 years of my life in. He starts with asking me how is NUALS. So I start talking, and I realized a lot of things. I start telling him how college was for me. Through out the 5 years I always wondered how my life would be had I gone somewhere else. Like, someplace with a lot of strikes and then random things like an arts college. But then I realized I wouldn't be me without being here. It changed me in several ways. For one, I was a Rebel, let me put it simply, I was a wild animal, a really wild one, just like my hands my tongue could hurt people and the pain wouldn't have left for days. And then would I have gained anything, NAH.

Well, NUALS tamed me. From a lion to a wolf maybe, don't know. At least I learned to think before I start acting, to measure words before spitting it out. Was it the place or was it just growing up. Maybe a mixture of both. Will I make a good lawyer, Nope. Have I figured out things about my life after leaving college, Somewhat. But then, I found a medium in everything, some sort of balance.

I found NUALS to be accepting. It accepted anyone even if there was no fitting in possible. It taught me that even when it could be accepting, it need not necessarily care. I think it was on the second day of viva that Arya and me, sitting in the corner stairs (or is it the emergency exit, blah) started talking about the perks of this place, and we found that there is a very low chance of finding another place as accepting as this. Its not that there wasn't gossips, oh, there were lots. Its just that, from the simplest to the most outrageous things was acceptable for everyone. Me being a local, (meaning a kalamaseeriate, well, lets just say its like an embassy of some sort, like the place never belonged to the local area) people asked me questions. NUALS was this foreign territory for them, and like people from one country ask questions about the other, there were a lot, and as a local I was supposed to answer.  Does girls Smoke ? (couldn't count) Are there real couples in your college like national law schools? (I don't even know what that means, and yeah, a lawyer asked this. and a lot others). There were more, from curfew for girls to how short dress girls wear (yeah, I know), from have all smoked up to alcohol. And the Goa trip raised a lot of eyebrows. My answers included constant shrugs and aah, I don't knows, then it became why the hell do you care so much, then to mind your own business, and then to just staring back at them. The population in NUALS is so blended that people accepts everyone, from whatever they do or not do.

And as of me I found some really amazing people there, all different, and there are a very few who would fit in well with social norms. My mom always said that I found some really amazing friends, and she started saying this years back even before I realized. Also the college has some really amazing Faculty. Apparently, our batch is one of the favorite for most of the teachers, which some people still haven't figured out why. I am gonna miss them and their classes, even though some of which I had earphones under my scarf and was actually watching movies. But then there were some remarkable classes like Jayadevan sir's Consti, or JJ trying his best for one week to put in one single cases into our heads (I am never gonna forget that Rupa Ashok Hura case). And the faces of the sweet teachers and of course BK (ah well I don't have to say much), Hmm. I am actually gonna miss the place.

I wasn't a hosteler, so my stories won't be that emotional as those who were. Yet, I am gonna miss the place, the crazy crowd, I am gonna miss the entire class even though I doubt if I have ever spoke to the people at the right backside of the class. Have I ? And in the last few days of college I realized that I haven't spoken to a lot of people much, other than the occasional hi, all the best, have you seen this person, or simply smiles. And then I realized some people thought I was intimidating, well, I think they haven't spoken to me for more than 2 minutes.And then the dine outs. My family says that I know more about restaurants in and around kochi than people who live nearby them, just like being the guide about LULU.

And then about my friends, I wish in all the success we all still remain friends because I am gonna have some really stupid doubts and you guys know that I cant ask others and then I will look really stupid. Arya, Aparna, Kavita, Gopika, Drishya, Janaki and Meera, you guys have solved more problems for me in these years than I did alone, well, as you all say, some problems are just boiled in inside my head and I need you crazies to figure it out.

Laptop about to die, So good bye.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How it all began ....

So all this started when... okay the truth is that I have no idea when all this started, anyway the beginning is a spark of an idea in Rukku's mind. And I have no clue how things churned to this on that side. For me it started when I got a call from her after all these months. She asked for my full photo. Since the term full photo is totally associated with a marriage proposal, I didn't think twice to reject the same. But somehow she managed to get hold of it. As many other events of any other day, I forgot about it when the sun rose up high the next day. Apparently a lot of things were happening on the other side.  I got shock when my father came down to India and while having breakfast revealed the real intention of his visit. After the initial shock I laughed, I thought he was kidding. He said the proposal was really ON. And their people wanted to meet me. And my mom would be coming down soon. I sat there processing the whole thing inside my head. I don't remember m

The Essentials of an Indian wedding

Yeah, so like any other event, the planning and execution was really tough. I'm sure hosting an International Academic event can be easier than this. Here there is unexpectedness through out, 1000s of opinions involved, and finally the execution left for oneself. My shopping was done weeks before, except for the collection of my 'dress of the day' from the designer. The shopping for everyone else went on and on. Another aspect that went through a lot speculation and finally a lot of criticism was the jewelry. I think everyone expected me to be draped in gold so that my dress itself won't be visible. Yeah!!! So when a lot of relatives came home (yeah there is the customary visits by a lot of people), they gaped at my father with their mouths open when he said the amount of gold he was actually buying. 20 sovereigns of gold is way toooo less when you compare the 300 or so presently happening in the society. And then they look at me with a look that said why are you sup