Skip to main content

A Special Place

Let me clarify - As one of my friends said, waiting for the next next next step, this is not the story of that step, coz that hasn't happened yet. Then why I am I doing this now ??? I have no clue.

Does every girl go crazy before the marriage? Do they fret on every single aspect of every single happening ? Well, if the answer is no, then something is really wrong with me. 

Right now at this moment, when I am writing this I am worried about my wedding dress. Should I wear an Arabic Lacha or a gown. I went to 4 shops today. Thinking back, I don't know what I was searching for exactly. From a salesgirl viewpoint, we looked liked  3 anada prethangal roaming around several boutiques. I can't blame them, Choosing the wedding dress and several other of them is such a big event over here. Usually, it happens this way, a bunch of relatives and family crowd around a girl who is trying on several dresses. And then there was US, we looked like people who had landed from 5 centuries back, and I am sure they weren't expecting 3 girls trying to pick a dress. I have to thank Baps for that, he had given me an absolute freedom to go pick dress from anywhere I want with anyone I want(that means I don't have to please a lot of eyes and get approval nods from several others)(And another aspect of this is that I miss my Ummi in all this, who is the person from whom I crave an approval nod from, yeah and my grandma(well, she is a part and parcel)). So that's the story of a Sunday well spent(not in all terms). 

I don't know why but I am getting really emotional these days. Its not that I don't cry usually, its just that I don't do it this regularly. Maybe, there are worries and concerns burned deep inside my heart. I don't know. And I miss Ummi. But there is this specific thing I get emotional about way tooo quickly, and that is shifting from my room. Don't get your head clouded with ideas that I don't wanna go to my future husband's place. Its not that. My room is a special place. For others, its one of the two biggest rooms, and for me, its my den, its my library, its my refuge. Generally in an Indian family, when a girl gets married and makes way for another to get married, she has to move out from the big room. I don't know if this is happens only here, or several other parts of the world. This is something I can't bear to think about. 

It all started out as a joke for somebody. She laughed and tried to pester me about a lot of things and among all that this also came along. This idea was there boiling and burning up my head for so long that when me and my dad was talking I just burst out crying. To be fair, he was shocked, and then he burst out laughing. He said whenever you come home, the room shall be waiting for you and that is why I built such a big house. I was pacified by every laughing face in the room, including my sister, brother and grandmother. After giving all this some thought Baps asked me, it is true that everyone has a room over here, but don't you think after 10 or so years when you decrease your number of visits here, you should move out to the next room? 

And that started another war, a big big one. Now, it was not just about me, I brought in mostly all of the relatives and their stories (all those times I stared open mouthed when my aunts moved out when unlces married, I don't know why it hurt me so much(I have a feeling those aunts weren't hurt), but there I was sitting and contemplating when this was happening to me). And my worst fears just came true when Baps asked that. I asked why is it that always girls have to sacrifice? Yeah there are instances where the house is small and there is a lack of number of rooms, and that's when they do that. But over here, that particular issue does't rise. Oh yeah, the next room doesn't have a wash basin (seriously, that the reasoning they gave me). This answer irritated me more. And again out of no where my brother called me his bad word he reserves only for me: Feminist. 

I don't walk away, I stand there and give my father the epic ZAINABU STARE. He hates that, I am sure. (Well, yesterday's one definitely had determination, boldness and pleading altogether). He laughed again and said fine. In between all this my siblings keep asking me why I am so attached to that one room. I answered that because I designed it and planned it and executed every bit of it with all my heart. Well, the truth is that, this is the first room I got where something was permanent. It was there and I am not gonna lose it. Maybe, all this emotional attachment is due to the fact that we kept moving, Saudi Arabia, India and in Saudi Arabia, We moved across the west and east innumerable number of times. I love traveling. It's there in my blood, but like any traveler, I need a base that's permanent. And that's that room. Its not like I use that room permanently, no, but when I am too sad, I go there and when I am too happy I go there. When I want to listen to music I go there, and when I wanna read a book, I go there and when I wanna write something I go there. I don't know if somebody else associates with a non- living thing like the way I do with my room. I don't know.  


Comments

  1. The title should be - 'It's all about the room'

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely all about the room. Don't let your siblings have your room. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, not planning to :) Gops and Aparna You are right, but since its a special place for me, thought I would give it the same title.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Attachments are timely Zainu, life will let you know. It takes sometime, to know that. And you will create your own things better than the one you are holding now....All girls, if I'm not wrong, have many of these attachments which we leave behind and build our own. And then later one learns that "what I had is sweet but the one 'we' made is sweeter.....:)" Life is very simple. Bear this in mind..... if you view it from a difficult angles it is very difficult, and if viewed from a crazy angle it will turn you crazy and if you view if from a positive angle life is as simple as that. Just enjoy everything that comes to you and never build any wishes in your mind other than God's blessings. Where there is no hard rules life becomes simple and easy. Take it as it comes to you. Never, over or under estimate anything in life. This is the main principle of being happy with one's life.
    Maithri

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How it all began ....

So all this started when... okay the truth is that I have no idea when all this started, anyway the beginning is a spark of an idea in Rukku's mind. And I have no clue how things churned to this on that side. For me it started when I got a call from her after all these months. She asked for my full photo. Since the term full photo is totally associated with a marriage proposal, I didn't think twice to reject the same. But somehow she managed to get hold of it. As many other events of any other day, I forgot about it when the sun rose up high the next day. Apparently a lot of things were happening on the other side.  I got shock when my father came down to India and while having breakfast revealed the real intention of his visit. After the initial shock I laughed, I thought he was kidding. He said the proposal was really ON. And their people wanted to meet me. And my mom would be coming down soon. I sat there processing the whole thing inside my head. I don't remember m

5 years of my life

Someone called me today to ask about NUALS. A common friend had given this guy my phone number as he got allotted in the college I spent 5 years of my life in. He starts with asking me how is NUALS. So I start talking, and I realized a lot of things. I start telling him how college was for me. Through out the 5 years I always wondered how my life would be had I gone somewhere else. Like, someplace with a lot of strikes and then random things like an arts college. But then I realized I wouldn't be me without being here. It changed me in several ways. For one, I was a Rebel, let me put it simply, I was a wild animal, a really wild one, just like my hands my tongue could hurt people and the pain wouldn't have left for days. And then would I have gained anything, NAH. Well, NUALS tamed me. From a lion to a wolf maybe, don't know. At least I learned to think before I start acting, to measure words before spitting it out. Was it the place or was it just growing up. Maybe a mix

The Essentials of an Indian wedding

Yeah, so like any other event, the planning and execution was really tough. I'm sure hosting an International Academic event can be easier than this. Here there is unexpectedness through out, 1000s of opinions involved, and finally the execution left for oneself. My shopping was done weeks before, except for the collection of my 'dress of the day' from the designer. The shopping for everyone else went on and on. Another aspect that went through a lot speculation and finally a lot of criticism was the jewelry. I think everyone expected me to be draped in gold so that my dress itself won't be visible. Yeah!!! So when a lot of relatives came home (yeah there is the customary visits by a lot of people), they gaped at my father with their mouths open when he said the amount of gold he was actually buying. 20 sovereigns of gold is way toooo less when you compare the 300 or so presently happening in the society. And then they look at me with a look that said why are you sup