Skip to main content

About Tomorrow...

It's not that I blog everyday. This happens when many conditions are satisfied... When I have a lot going on in my head, plus, there should be good enough wifi (this means I should be either in the college or in the office)(my home wifi is the worst found on the surface of earth. I am posting it now coz I am in the office waiting to for 6.30 to happen, diwali celebrations, also waiting for the event managers to turn up (I know, they are supposed to be punctual aren't they) and then Baps have to drop me to college. This unusual custom is coz celebrations go onto the night (not exactly, it's just till 8, but its very very late in my grandmas terms), that means if I take the car I will have to come back alone, So at last we reached a common ground that Baps will drop me and pick me up :)

And another thing about today is Nov 1 or Kerala Piravi (the state of Kerala came into being today). Baps puts on the news every day night and yesterday I heard on passing that the chief minister is gonna declare the state to be completely anti- defecation free. WOW. right. I don't get it, how can they declare that every household would have a toilet, when all those never attended tribal people are not even taken into consideration. And chuck that, how about another major public defecation dilemma, the India Railways. When all the countries have reached the 21st century, ours haven't really seen light. The toilets of the train are still open and the drains are simply flowing to the tracks. The most usual view in a bustling station like Alwaye is the staff throwing white powder on the tracks. I have been seeing this all through my childhood, and it still continues. I don't know how the prime minister of the country can speak about swach bharat, when the most usual and crucial part of any Indian scene is not repaired. I don't wanna get arrested as this is just a few worries of every middle class person.

Oh my God, I have been blabbering right, and moving out of subject. So what is special about tomorrow, breaking the news ....  Tomorrow is my engagement. No big deal for me since I will be sitting in the class trying not to sleep. Because over here, in this part of Kerala (I say this coz I don't know how it happens in other places) family elders sit and fix the marriage.  And most irritating part only men do that. Hmm... I always questioned this in my mind, I didn't dare put this on the table with my family, coz I wanted to leave at least some point at rest. Well, its kinda the common knowledge that I question every single aspect of a patriarchal society. Let's begin from the beginning.,,, how it happens,,,, A group of men goes to the grooms house and fixes the marriage date (this can happen in the brides place also). In this particular case, it's the groom's place and its 25 men from this family, I know I know, I stood there with my mouth hanging open. They go and chit chat and fix the date and also boast up a lot about each side of the family(this is what some of my spies tell me). I don't know I haven't been there. 

I couldn't post this yesterday, it just got saved coz the power went due to the lightning. So today is the tomorrow I was referring to. Its a bad thing that I could not post it, but it has its plus, I get to write a few stuff about today.So, as I wrote earlier, there was a tempo full of people, of whom, some I don't know at all, some I can't bear to stand in the same room with, some who doesn't care if I am alive or dead. Yeah, all these people went for my engagement and here I am sitting and writing this blog post. Its not that I, personally wanna go for MY engagement, I prefer sitting here and imagining my poor would- be husband bombarded by my relatives. He has no clue what he has put himself up to (yeah I have that smile after I set up a trap). 

I am just concerned that we are moving behind in time, going on and on with the same traditions that link to patriarchy. We still stand in that era where women should stay in the kitchen and cook and men decide on their lives. Hmmmm.... When you read this, you might think why didn't my baps do anything different. Well, my dad is modern at most of the times, except when it comes to his relatives, yeah he kinda goes back to his childhood, to the 70s. Maybe he just gets carried away. Like today, when I went outside and was whispering something to my brother that's when he asked me to go inside(well, anybody might think I wasn't decent to stand outside, No I was wearing my uniform kurthis and there was a scarf around my head, for those who care) (and yeah he said that in the most authoritative form), I don't blame him, everywhere I have gone, from childhood till now, men had to be in power, ... Dude ... I am not questioning them or rebelling. I just wanted to stand there when the engagement party left (reminder: its my engagement). Any person reading this would think I was angry by this, No I was not, I was feeling sympathetic towards myself and all those girls who have been here. I walked into the bedroom and plugged in the headphones and heard Sanam Puri's Gulabi Ankhen. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How it all began ....

So all this started when... okay the truth is that I have no idea when all this started, anyway the beginning is a spark of an idea in Rukku's mind. And I have no clue how things churned to this on that side. For me it started when I got a call from her after all these months. She asked for my full photo. Since the term full photo is totally associated with a marriage proposal, I didn't think twice to reject the same. But somehow she managed to get hold of it. As many other events of any other day, I forgot about it when the sun rose up high the next day. Apparently a lot of things were happening on the other side.  I got shock when my father came down to India and while having breakfast revealed the real intention of his visit. After the initial shock I laughed, I thought he was kidding. He said the proposal was really ON. And their people wanted to meet me. And my mom would be coming down soon. I sat there processing the whole thing inside my head. I don't remember m

5 years of my life

Someone called me today to ask about NUALS. A common friend had given this guy my phone number as he got allotted in the college I spent 5 years of my life in. He starts with asking me how is NUALS. So I start talking, and I realized a lot of things. I start telling him how college was for me. Through out the 5 years I always wondered how my life would be had I gone somewhere else. Like, someplace with a lot of strikes and then random things like an arts college. But then I realized I wouldn't be me without being here. It changed me in several ways. For one, I was a Rebel, let me put it simply, I was a wild animal, a really wild one, just like my hands my tongue could hurt people and the pain wouldn't have left for days. And then would I have gained anything, NAH. Well, NUALS tamed me. From a lion to a wolf maybe, don't know. At least I learned to think before I start acting, to measure words before spitting it out. Was it the place or was it just growing up. Maybe a mix

The Essentials of an Indian wedding

Yeah, so like any other event, the planning and execution was really tough. I'm sure hosting an International Academic event can be easier than this. Here there is unexpectedness through out, 1000s of opinions involved, and finally the execution left for oneself. My shopping was done weeks before, except for the collection of my 'dress of the day' from the designer. The shopping for everyone else went on and on. Another aspect that went through a lot speculation and finally a lot of criticism was the jewelry. I think everyone expected me to be draped in gold so that my dress itself won't be visible. Yeah!!! So when a lot of relatives came home (yeah there is the customary visits by a lot of people), they gaped at my father with their mouths open when he said the amount of gold he was actually buying. 20 sovereigns of gold is way toooo less when you compare the 300 or so presently happening in the society. And then they look at me with a look that said why are you sup