Skip to main content

Revelation!!!

Actually its not a revelation or anything, I just realized it recently. I always had this confusion and doubt as to this one question. It kept nagging me from the back of my head. Why do women change their ideas, perspectives or goals after marriage? A spec of the moment changes these people-  from a career oriented person to the best house wife (oh, sorry lemme sugarcoat it, home maker), or from a cheery bubbly girl into the silent versions, etc. They reevaluate their entire perspectives, and they present it to you as though they were for that side -from forever, Dude, You just shifted sides yesterday? What is happening?  Different answers swirled through my head at different points in time. The answers - fell in love, love for children, responsibilities, and the list goes on. I saw this happen with my friends, aunts, neighbors, even stories I heard about my own mother bore witness to this fact. How does things change so much? It's not that I thought it was wrong, its just that I could never understand the depth of change that happening to that one person. As a child I thought maybe there will be a psychological transformation of some sort that this cheerful girl suddenly changed into this all grown women the moment the gold chain touches her skin.

So, back to the point, so I got the answer to the question. Its not the love for any freaking thing, not the child and definitely not the guy, its not that your career was lost because your employer knew you would be pregnant in just 10 months, its not because all your education skill just vanished. My finding------ ten-tadan----- EXPECTATIONS. Its because your husband who made tea till the day before the wedding by himself started expecting it from you. Its because your family started expecting you to be matured (beta, now you are married....). Its because your siblings sit and contemplate what changes came about in you(oh that is because throughout their life that is what they have heard about marriage). Its because some random relatives or people you rarely see starts counting days for you to pop out babies (oh this list is not that small, my grandmother for instance, till my marriage it was - I wanna see you happily married before I die, and now - I wanna see your child before I die). Yeah people just tend to think you are a baby popping machine. So where did I leave off? Oh yeah the because... Its also because of those poor innocent and anticipating friends who think marriage is all bloom bloom. Its because of all those people who come and say the major purpose of women is to run a family and take care of all the needs. And the list just goes on and on...,

Its the expectations that change people or the girls in this specific instance. Oh don't think I am unhappy in life, its just that I have always tried to figure it out in my head before acting, that I am completely confused. I am in the stage of figuring out whether I should be walking with the crowd of sheep pushed with just the wave of sticks or just be adamant and let the stick be used on me.  Anyway born a women I know where my fate lies. 

Comments

  1. Dude.. Why do u have to run behind others expectations!Be all that you want to be, why are you being stuck in the time bound stance?! It's we who keep on writing about these craps and make everybody think about it again and again and the so called creepy society think Women are baby popping machines!!!
    ~H@N

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, really nice perspective. but I think writing about this won't aggravate it. Its my way of answering because most of the time I can't say it on their face, and also many at times when people intrude into privacy they actually don't realize it because it has happened with them and everyone thinks that the normal. In the post, I refer an incident to my grandmother, well its not her that I am angry at, its a lot of other people whom I cant refer because that would create one hell of a havoc. If and ever, those people I intend this come across these, I want them to know, that I wasn't actually okay with it, that it was just my so called Maryada that I kept quite.

    And Haniya, I was never someone I did not want to be, and whenever someone thought that I was what I want them to be, I can say that, the society made me learn things like acting and faking, because these are the things that lets things be normal (again, I am just faking it), I never wanted anything to be normal, I want extra ordinary and abnormal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How it all began ....

So all this started when... okay the truth is that I have no idea when all this started, anyway the beginning is a spark of an idea in Rukku's mind. And I have no clue how things churned to this on that side. For me it started when I got a call from her after all these months. She asked for my full photo. Since the term full photo is totally associated with a marriage proposal, I didn't think twice to reject the same. But somehow she managed to get hold of it. As many other events of any other day, I forgot about it when the sun rose up high the next day. Apparently a lot of things were happening on the other side.  I got shock when my father came down to India and while having breakfast revealed the real intention of his visit. After the initial shock I laughed, I thought he was kidding. He said the proposal was really ON. And their people wanted to meet me. And my mom would be coming down soon. I sat there processing the whole thing inside my head. I don't remember m

5 years of my life

Someone called me today to ask about NUALS. A common friend had given this guy my phone number as he got allotted in the college I spent 5 years of my life in. He starts with asking me how is NUALS. So I start talking, and I realized a lot of things. I start telling him how college was for me. Through out the 5 years I always wondered how my life would be had I gone somewhere else. Like, someplace with a lot of strikes and then random things like an arts college. But then I realized I wouldn't be me without being here. It changed me in several ways. For one, I was a Rebel, let me put it simply, I was a wild animal, a really wild one, just like my hands my tongue could hurt people and the pain wouldn't have left for days. And then would I have gained anything, NAH. Well, NUALS tamed me. From a lion to a wolf maybe, don't know. At least I learned to think before I start acting, to measure words before spitting it out. Was it the place or was it just growing up. Maybe a mix

The Essentials of an Indian wedding

Yeah, so like any other event, the planning and execution was really tough. I'm sure hosting an International Academic event can be easier than this. Here there is unexpectedness through out, 1000s of opinions involved, and finally the execution left for oneself. My shopping was done weeks before, except for the collection of my 'dress of the day' from the designer. The shopping for everyone else went on and on. Another aspect that went through a lot speculation and finally a lot of criticism was the jewelry. I think everyone expected me to be draped in gold so that my dress itself won't be visible. Yeah!!! So when a lot of relatives came home (yeah there is the customary visits by a lot of people), they gaped at my father with their mouths open when he said the amount of gold he was actually buying. 20 sovereigns of gold is way toooo less when you compare the 300 or so presently happening in the society. And then they look at me with a look that said why are you sup